Information on the Global Forum
The Global Forum for Responsible Management Education is organised by the PRME Secretariat of the UN Global Compact Office, with the active support of PRME participant institutions, the PRME Steering Committee and strategic partners with the goal to:
- take stock of the initiative,
- ensure that the voice of signatories is heard as genuine owners of the initiative,
- generate traction and outreach, and
- provide overall direction to the initiative.
3rd Global Forum for Responsible Management Education
- Date: 14-15 June 2012
- Reception: 14 June 2012; Time: 6:00pm
- Corporate Sustainability Forum: 15-18 June 2012
- Venue: Windsor Barra Hotel, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. View Google Map
The 3rd Global Forum for Responsible Management Education on 14-15 June 2012 will be the official platform for management-related Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) at both the Global Compact Rio+20 Corporate Sustainability Forum and the UN Conference on Sustainable Development - Rio+20. The events of both the Global Forum and Corporate Sustainability Forum will inform the proceedings and outcomes of this historic global summit.
Marking the 20th anniversary of the first Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, Government leaders will convene the Rio+20 Earth Summit on 20-22 June to build consensus on a more sustainable course for our world, in the environmental, social and economic spheres.
Business schools, management-related academic institutions, and universities have a unique role to train current and future generations to lead this process. However, as a global sector, management education must make considerable change to be at the forefront of innovation and progress for sustainable development. The Global Forum will provide a space to discuss and mobilise action around the questions: What is the role of management education in society for the future we want? Further, how can the Principles for Responsible Management Education facilitate individual and systemic change within higher education as the community mobilises action toward achieving the Rio+20 vision on sustainable development?
Who Should Attend?
The Global Forum is designed for:
- Leaders of PRME signatories and of business schools, departments of management or universities considering becoming PRME signatories;
- Faculty members responsible for the implementation of the Principles;
- Business representatives responsible for the selection of new talent and of business schools for executive education.
Interactive meeting methodology
Building on the positive experience from previous PRME meetings, especially the 2011 PRME Summit in Brussels, the meeting seeks to maximise interaction between participants and to agree on concrete action items/next steps. Participants will be seated at tables of approximately 10 people. Sessions will begin with a moderated panel discussion conducted in "Question & Answer" style, to be followed by round-table discussions, to be facilitated by a Discussion Leader. The session will close with presentations of outcomes of table discussions.
Conference Sessions Include:
Along with the incorporation of positive case studies and stories, the three sessions aspire to answer the following respective sub-questions:
- How does sustainable development affect the management education sector?
- What are the external incentives (e.g. accreditation, rankings, etc.), and how can they further support the values of sustainable development and responsible management education?
- What are the challenges and opportunities facing individual schools to (further) implement responsible management education and how can PRME help in this process?